HPC CoE Council (HPC3)
Applications in High-Performance Computing (HPC) help tackle some of the world’s biggest societal, scientific, and economic challenges and therefore take a pivotal place in the European HPC Ecosystem alongside the development of Exascale technologies and provision of access to extreme-scale infrastructure. Many important applications are being supported through EU Centres of Excellence (CoEs) in HPC.
In 2019, instigated by Focus CoE, the CoEs together with Focus CoE established the HPC CoE Council (HPC3).
HPC3 is a key vehicle to ensure that the European HPC CoEs have an appropriate presence in the European HPC Ecosystem and the EuroHPC initiative. The objectives of HPC3 are the following:
- Identify European HPC CoEs common interests
- Represent the CoEs in the current European HPC landscape
- Be a representative body for the European HPC applications
HPC3 provides a common forum for the CoEs to promote the development and usage of high-end HPC applications in all scientific fields.
With the strong impulse of EuroHPC and the upcoming arrival of (pre-)exascale machines, it is of primary importance to strengthen the development of key applications that will enable science to be done on these machines.
Also in 2019, a council office was elected:
- Chairperson – Edouard Audit (CEA – French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission), EoCoE for the Energy-oriented CoE
- Vice Chairperson – Elisa Molinari (CNR and Uni Modena), MaX CoE for Materials design at the Exascale
- General Secretary – Erwin Laure (Max-Planck-Institut), for BioExcel – CoE Computational Biomolecular Research
The HPC3 office is the external contact to represent the European HPC application ecosystem. Should you have any questions or any point of interests for HPC3, please contact HPC3 office members.