Webinar “Opportunities and Challenges for Industrial Applications”, 4th February, 2021
The webinar “Opportunities and Challenges for Industrial Applications” was organised by ENEA, on February 4th, 2021, within the framework of the activities of FocusCoE. The seminar was structured with four speakers from different high-performance computing (HPC) Centres:
- Introduction: Marta Chinnici (ENEA, Italy – FocusCoE)
- EoCoE: the European Energy oriented Centre of Excellence in HPC – Presenter: Massimo Celino (ENEA, Italy)
- Parallel block low-rank sparse direct solvers with applications – Presenter: Alfredo Buttari (CNRS, France)
- Working with SME on the design of new energy materials – Presenter: Alison Walker (University of Bath)
- Discussion, questions and answers
In line with the FocusCoE activities, the webinar targeted the promotion of the CoEs’s technologies and services to stakeholders from science and industry, focusing on small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), thereby reinforcing the positive impact of HPC in all of the areas covered by the CoEs. In detail, the webinar covered some of the most critical research areas of the system of CoEs, highlighting topics such as physical-mathematical modelling, numerical algorithms and scientific libraries, and giving a few examples of how CoEs activities and applications result in tangible benefits for scientific and industrial challenges.
The webinar gathered an attendance of around 60 participants. In the follow-up questionnaire, the participants gave very positive reactions regarding the quality of the event, interest in the presentations, willingness to participate in future events, interest in contacting the CoEs. Suggestions were also collected on future topics of interest, that will be taken into account in the organisation of FocusCoE’s future activities. The recording of the webinar is available online.